Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Valley

 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Psalm 23:3

     Psalm 23 was the message on Sunday morning. It was the perfect message for the situation my husband and I were about to walk into that afternoon, though we didn't know that message would mean so much a few hours later. I won't give details as to not sway people feelings, but I will say that we went into a situation expecting a peaceful resolution, and instead what we walked into, was a direct attack. I will say that never has any person spewed so much hatred toward me. My husband and I walked away knowing that it was the end of what had been a very important relationship in our lives and in the lives of our children's.
     At first we both felt numb. The verbal attack was so unexpected that it pulled the rug right out from under our feet. But, as we headed home we began to realize a few things. One, the outrageous claims, accusations, and bitter name calling was really this person's feelings about them self and it was being projected at me. Not one thing said about me even remotely reflected the person I am or the life I live.  Two, when you are in a valley in your life, a valley being a place where you are going through a difficult time,( as we have been working through healing from our loss this year), you are vulnerable and more likely to be attacked. Your personal growth and happiness that comes from spending time in a valley and working your way out is a threat to others. After all you know the saying, mmisery loves company. We sought counsel from our pastor both before and after this meeting and feel that we truly have done all we can. We cannot allow those words to impact our lives, nor can we allow these attacks to continue.
     It would have been easy for me to spend the week feeling sorry for myself. I could have allowed those words to pierce my heart and I could have convinced myself they were true or that others must feel the same. But Psalm 23 promises me that during these times I do not wander the valley alone, but I am protected by God during these times. I must look towards him to protect and restore me.
     I have many friends wandering int heir own valley right now as well. Some are unhappy at home, or work, or with their marriage. Some have lost jobs and loved ones. It really is up to us as individuals to decide how we allow what happens in the valley to effect us. We can either be beaten down further and lose sight of the One who promises to be with us, or we can, in the words of one of my favorite authors, Beth Moore, " Place our ear against the chest of the Savior so that when troubled times come, so you may not know what will befall you, but you can hear the steady pulse of the boundless love of Him who holds you.

No comments:

Post a Comment