Saturday, November 12, 2011

Changes

    He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.”  Mark s:34 (NIV)

As I have said before in other posts, people who experience a tragedy in their lives through loss are given a special gift, it is a take on life that is different then anyone else around them. Suddenly, you find yourself reevaluating how you spent your time, your energy, and maybe even your money.
     Soon after I lost the baby, I knew that I wanted a clean slate. I could no longer pour energy into unhealthy relationships, spend my time doing things that I wasn't passionate about, and allow my kids to have a mom who wasn't functioning at full capacity. What little energy I  had was going to be directed at my family and other close meaningful, healthy relationships, working hard to make my house a home again, and no longer just exist, but live again.
     My therapist warned me when I began this journey that I was no longer the "old Sabrina". She prepared me for the fact that I  was going to "piss people off" ( I was just amazed those were her actual words). Wow was she right! But, I began to realize that when others disapproved of my decisions or were angry at me for beginning to set boundaries with them, it meant that I was going in the right direction.
     Changing is never embraced well. In fact it is usually outright rejected. Once I got past the difficulty of standing my ground, each issue I faced got easier and easier to deal with. After years of people pleasing, I had learned how to say, no. Success!
     When I came home from the hospital I spent hours in a daze just watching my kids play.  My every thought was consumed by the baby and the way I was forced to end it's life. I was also consumed with the fact I almost didn't make it home to the children playing right in front of me.
      I often hear it said that "almost" doesn't count. I would argue that almost dying, is when "almost" does count for something. I thought a lot about what legacy I would have left behind for my kids had I died. I would have left them with the memory of a mom who was overworked, stressed, unhappy, and caught up in family dysfunction and drama that was time consuming. Thank God I had a second chance to change this!
     The memory I would have left them with then, is not the mom I am today. It took all of this loss, hurt, and guilt  to bring me to a place where I stopped doing what I thought I had to do, and started doing what God wanted me to do.
     I returned home to my children and got my house and our lives back in order.  I let go of trying to control life around me ( it certainly was not working anyway). I stopped trying to get family to love or accept me. Instead of allowing toxic relationships to continue, I drew a line, a boundary if you will. Those boundaries may not have been received well, but they have brought my home much needed peace. I am learning to stop allowing the disapproval of others to define who I am.
     It has been a long eight months, full of a lot of ups and downs. I am a realist. I know there will be more to come. What drives me is knowing that I am choosing to make everything I went though count for something. I was the only one who felt that baby. Yes it was my husband's loss as well, but it was my void in my body. No one but God can comfort that type of emptiness.
     So every Thursday when I leave my therapist's office, I know that I am closer and closer to being healed not only from the loss of the baby, the abortion, the pain, the guilt, but from so much more. Everyday I get a little bit stronger.
     The baby's 14 weeks were not in vain. Those fourteen weeks changed my life forever.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment